Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Why I don't like Meghan Trainor

 

I felt obliged to make this post after two of my close friends got pissed off because I don't like Meghan Trainor, before you continue, please please please please ǝsɐǝld PLEASE do not say start a debate, I'm not interested. 
She's not actually fat
The thing about Meghan Trainor is she isn't actually fat. She's average. This isn't a very strong reason, however it's important because 1) people who are actually fat might think that they are way too fat (if that makes sense) and this might wreak their self conscious, or 2) average sized people who might start believing they're fat, when they're not and (once again) wreak their self conscious.
"I'm not a feminist."
I don't think this is a very strong reason, but it's worth mentioning. Although I don't have any direct quotes, her intentions reflect feminist ideals and this enrages me because this sends out the wrong idea of feminism out to people. 
All About That Bass
The song 'All About That Bass' may seem body positive, but it's not. Sure, it tells girls who are fat to love themselves, however it at the same time shames skinny girls. Just because you're skinny doesn't mean you love your body. This song is just as bad as any song that shames fat girls, it's a gross song, and if that isn't bad enough, it claims that feeling confident depends on a man's opinion. Like what!? Even if that's not the intended meaning of the song, it sounds clear to me and she's not really getting the 'correct' meaning through.
"I wasn't strong enough to have an eating disorder... I tried to go anorexic for a good 3 hours. I ate ice and celery, but that's not even anorexic. And I quit. I was like 'Ma, can you make me a sandwich? Like imminently." 
If you haven't got the hint, this is (a disgusting) quote from Meghan. Hard to believe, huh? There are so many things wrong with this quote, so don't mind if I type a lot. 1) The 'I want's strong enough to have an eating disorder.' is so revolting. Metal illnesses aren't 'strengths', strength is pulling yourself out of a metal illness. Honestly this is like saying 'I wasn't sad enough to be depressed.' or 'I didn't act well enough to pass for schizophrenic.'  It's such a hurtful and terrible thing to say! 2) 'I tried to go anorexic for a good 3 hours.' This pisses me off so much. It's not a new fad diet that you can choose to par take in. It's a SERIOUS metal illness with a DEATH TOLL and lands several people in the hospital yearly. Ignorance like this is why so many people with metal illnesses suffer in silence and never really get help. This quote is feeding people lies. You can't choose to have a metal illness and it's not anywhere near being strong. I honestly can't believe she actually said this.
That's all I have for now. Sorry for not posting in about forever, life really has been getting the best of me (it has ever since I was born). If I realize I forgot something I might make a part 2.
~wolfs 

1 comment:

Rainbow Links

By Blog Gadgets